Terms to Know

iconBefore-Tax Contributions – HCSA, DCSA, LPSA and HSA

Before-tax contributions to your heath savings and spending accounts are deducted from your pay before federal taxes (and in many cases, state and local income taxes) are withheld.

iconCenters of Excellence (COEs)

COEs are top-rated facilities that deliver high quality medical care for complex specialties like bariatric, orthopedic, and transplant services. For certain procedures, you’ll need to be treated at a COE to receive full in-network coverage.

iconCoinsurance

The portion of a covered expense that you pay after satisfying the deductible. For example, if the Plan pays 80% of certain covered expenses, you will pay the remaining 20%, which is your share of the costs.

iconCovered Expenses

Covered expenses are medical and related costs that qualify for reimbursement under your medical plan.

iconDeductible

The amount of eligible expenses you and each covered dependent must pay each calendar year before the Plan begins to pay benefits.

iconDependent

Eligible dependents include your legal spouse, your eligible children, your partner (which includes a civil union partner), and your partner’s eligible children.

iconEvidence of Insurability (EOI)

Evidence of Insurability, or proof of good health, is a statement of medical history and related information which is used to determine whether you (or a dependent) will be approved for certain types of coverage, such as life insurance.

iconFamily Coverage

All coverage levels other than individual are considered family coverage for purposes of the HDHP with an HSA. These include employee + spouse, employee + children and family.

iconHigh Deductible Health Plan (HDHP)

The HDHP has lower premiums and higher annual deductibles than Citi’s other medical plans. It shares the cost of covered services after you meet the annual deductible and, like all Citi plans, covers 100% of the cost for recommended in-network preventive care.

iconHealth Savings Account (HSA)

An HSA is available to employees who participate in the HDHP. It is designed to be used in conjunction with the HDHP to pay for eligible health care expenses until you satisfy your deductible and thereafter, with tax-free dollars.

HSA funds can also be saved for future health care expenses. If you open an account, Citi will contribute money into your HSA each year that you are enrolled in the HDHP, even if you do not contribute to your HSA.

iconIn-Network

In-network providers have agreed to a discounted rate negotiated by the insurer, which means you can typically save money by using in-network services.

iconOut-of-Network

Out-of-network providers are not part of the insurer network, which means you’ll typically pay higher costs for care (deductible, coinsurance, and amounts billed over the allowed amount). When you see an out-of-network provider, you’re responsible for filing a claim for reimbursement.

iconOut-of-Pocket Maximum

The out-of-pocket maximum is the maximum amount you’ll pay in the plan year for eligible expenses—including copays, deductibles, and coinsurance—for yourself and your covered dependents. Once you meet your out-of-pocket maximum, the Plan pays 100% for in-network services.

iconPremiums

The amount you pay for plan coverage out of your paycheck.

iconPreventive Care

In-network preventive care is covered free of charge regardless of which plan you choose. Preventive care services include routine physical exams and diagnostic tests, immunizations, well-child and well-woman exams.

iconSpending Accounts

Spending accounts allow you to pay for certain health care, dependent day care, transportation, and parking expenses with before-tax payroll contributions.